Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Seth Godin & Ariel Hyatt Discuss The Music Industry, Part 2

On March 8th, we posted an article summarizing the first part of a discussion between legendary marketing mastermind Seth Godin and Ariel Hyatt of Ariel Publicity.

In this 2nd edition, Seth and Ariel continue delving into the challenges and incredible opportunities available to independent musicians in the New Music Industry.

Some of the best Seth Godin quotes from the discussion include:

  •  "There has never ever, ever been a better time to be an independent artist than right now...EVER!"
  • "The internet is a microphone. Use it."
  • "The death of the publisher is the boon to the writer."
  • "The internet is radio, but without having to bribe the programer."
  • "The internet is radio for ideas...including music."
  • "The problem is not piracy. The problem is obscurity."
  • On the topic of giving away free music: "I want everyone to know my song because, if everyone knows my song my heart will be happy, because that's why I made the song; and my pocket will be happy because, if everyone knows my song, someone's going to show up and say "come do a live gig." Someone's going to show up and say "please sign this guitar." Someone's going to show up and say "please endorse this brand of mouthwash."



For further reading from Seth on similar topics:

No comments:

Post a Comment